Experience Required: 2 years in a senior management role, proven record of running a professional kitchen
The White House is a Cafe, Bar and Kitchen in central Oxford run by Tap Social. We are looking for a Head Chef to join our team to help us maintain and build on our current food offering. We currently offer brunch (Tuesday - Sunday) and dinner (Thursday - Saturday) as well as cakes and savoury treats. Our food focuses on seasonal, veg-forward cooking, something we’d like to maintain, while being very open to the head chef shaping it towards their own style and skillset. The restaurant seats 80 covers inside and 100 outside in a vibrant pub garden, attracting residents, students and visitors alike.
Tap Social works closely with several prisons whose staff and inmates have shaped our direction and ethos. We hire people currently serving and recently released from prison sentences and support them to develop new skills, learn about setting up and running small business and get real work experience in an engaging and fast-growing industry. The right candidate should actively support our ethos and will be responsible for the training and development of the kitchen team.
This role is perfect for someone with exceptional discipline and organisation, but who also has a creative flair. You will be key in creating exciting, seasonal menus for a relaxed but busy restaurant environment. You may also be required to write and execute other menu offerings for events held in our function room upstairs at The White House. We are currently building a relationship with a nearby growing community, another step towards becoming a more sustainable business. We’d like to find a chef who considers sustainability a key part in running a kitchen by reducing waste, making connections with local suppliers, and always considering the impact of our food choices.
About Tap Social:
The White House is located on the Abingdon Road, a short walk from central Oxford. It is a beautiful, newly renovated former farmhouse and lively pub for many years with lovely views over the sports grounds of Brasenose College and the Thames. Tap Social is a much-loved company in the Oxford community and, in its first year, The White House has garnered very good reviews from locals and visitors. We love getting involved in local events and looking for new ways to expand our reach and would like to find a head chef who shares our vision and can fulfil this role with pride and enthusiasm.
About our Head Chef:
- An enthusiastic, dynamic, and qualified chef who takes pride in what they do and is ready for a new challenge.
- Proven track record of running a professional kitchen including managing budgeted GPs, maintaining *5 Food Hygiene and creating rotas
- Proven experience of seasonal cooking and well-structured menu design to a high level
- Able to listen and collaborate with senior management on the direction of the menu and kitchen team
- Able to work on the personal development of each kitchen team member through training and regular check-ins
- Excellent communication skills, approachable and calm under pressure
- Up to date Food Safety Level 2
- Keen to join a young & vibrant company and be willing to go the extra mile to help us grow
- Knowledge of the Oxford food and drink scene
- History of training and developing teams
- First Aid certificate
- Fire Marshall certificate
- Competitive salary, two consecutive days off and a 45h working week
- 25% off food & drink across all our sites
- Team meal on shift and bottomless hot drinks
- Tangible career pathways, huge learning and development opportunities